The Top 5 Free Courses to Boost Your HR Career in 2024
Employers and HR professionals can feel more prepared for 2024 by brushing up on industry knowledge with free online resources—many of which offer continuing education credit. We’ve cultivated a list of the top 5 free online courses for HR professionals at all levels in 2024.
Top 5 Free HR Courses
1. BernieU (BerniePortal)
BernieU is BerniePortal's very own free online educational resource for all things HR. BernieU consists of 10 comprehensive HR courses that are approved for SHRM and HRCI recertification credit. Each course includes video lessons, short knowledge checks, and downloadable resources. The courses range from 1 to 2.5 hours in length. The topics included are:
- HR Prep
- Payroll Basics for Employers
- Paid Time Off Tutorial
- Intro to Forms 1094-C and 1095-C
- Benefits Administration Guide
- Retention Essentials
- Managing Employee Performance
- How to Establish a Meaningful Workplace
- HR Hiring Guide
- HRIS Technology and Tools
BernieU provides resources applicable to both tenured HR professionals and HR newcomers. When taking these courses, you are able to pause and resume them as needed. This makes it convenient to complete recertification credits in between career and personal obligations. At the completion of each course, you will receive badges for your records and, as a bonus, you can earn continuing education credits from the HR Certification Institute (HRCI) and Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), with a code to submit for recertification credits.
2. Human Resources Analytics (Coursera)
Coursera recognizes that in an age of technology, harvesting the right kind of data is vital to the success of your HR role. Available in 20 languages, this course offered in partnership with the University of California Irvine includes 4 hour-long modules on the following topics:
- HR Metrics Life Cycle
- Staffing, Training, and Compensation
- Employee Relations and the Overall Human Resources Organization
- Building Your Case and Creating Action
Each module includes a video lesson, reading, quiz, and discussion prompt, providing you with multiple methods to test your understanding. You will learn how to leverage data to achieve your strategic or SMART goals. Upon completion of the course, you will earn a career certificate that you can add to your LinkedIn profile, resume, or CV as a credential.
3. People Analytics Masterclass Series (Orgnostic)
Orgnostic is a people analytics platform that tracks HR data. Orgnostic is offering a free masterclass series on people analytics where subject matter experts share their knowledge and expertise. The series consists of 8 modules on everything from HR metrics to “storytelling to stakeholders”. Here are some of the topics they cover in the series:
- Data-informed HR Strategy
- Solving Business Problems Using the Agile HR Mindset
- Data Health and Ethics
- How to Speak the Language of Finance
Each module includes a multiple-choice quiz and additional resources. Orgnostic also has a 4- hour beginner’s People Analytics course if you are just getting started on your people analytics journey!
4. HR Management (Oxford Home Study)
The Oxford Home Study Centre (OHSC) gives learners access to a database of HR courses taught by some of the world’s leading HR professionals. This entry-level course covers the following key topics:
- Introduction to HR Management
- Recruitment and Selection
- Staff Training and Development
OHSC’s beginner-level course requires no prior knowledge or experience in HR and is ideally suited for newcomers to the HR industry. It provides an overview of HR basics and your role as an HR manager.
5. Talent Acquisition (Coursera)
In partnership with HRCI, the premier credentialing and learning organization for the human resources profession, Coursera is offering a free course on Talent Acquisition. Module topics include:
- Talent Acquisition
- How to Get Started in Talent Acquisition
- Talent Acquisition Life Cycle
- Negotiations and Onboarding
This 17-hour course is perfect for the HR beginner who wants to quickly improve their talent acquisition “talent”! Through this course, you will learn how to create a job analysis, write a job description, create a talent recruitment strategy, and explain all stages of the talent acquisition lifecycle. You will also earn a shareable certificate upon passing all course assessments.
Check out the top free courses from 2023 here.
You can stay informed, educated, and up to date with important HR topics using BerniePortal’s comprehensive resources:
- BernieU—free online HR courses, approved for SHRM and HRCI recertification credit
- BerniePortal Blog—a one-stop shop for HR industry news
- HR Glossary—featuring the most common HR terms, acronyms, and compliance
- Resource Library—essential guides covering a comprehensive list of HR topics
- HR Party of One—our popular YouTube series and podcast, covering emerging HR trends and enduring HR topics